When we think about Christmas, small things like the snow, fireplace, Christmas tree, Santa all comes into our mind. For people living in areas where it snows during the winters, the fireplace is a natural thing to have.
Nevertheless, for those who are not blessed with this one feature, you can still bring in the charm of Christmas by making your very own fireplace. Although it may be a fake one, you will still enjoy the charm of the traditional feel and look of Christmas.
Building your cardboard fireplace
If you want to build a fireplace with multiple boxes, you have to make sure that they are all of the same size. You can also choose to go with the small sixed refrigerator cardboard box to get the right height.
- Evenly sized refridgerator boxes of a medium size fridge or multiple cardboard boxes of the same size (depending on the height)
- Orange/ Brown/ Red and white/black colored paint to give the effect of tiles
- A wooden plank or plastic solid sheet for the top
The assembly process
- Place/ stack the boxes at a reasonable distance from each other to make the base of the fireplace. You can customize this based on the type of fireplace you want.
- Then place the sheet or wooden plank above it to give it the square or rectangular look.
- With a pencil and scale, draw rectangular across the cardboard to make it resemble the tiles. Pain them boxes according to the color that you want.
For the fire effect
For the fire effect, take yellow and orange colored Christmas light and place it in the center of the fireplace. This will lighting up the fireplace and look like fire. Another option is to cut differently sized flames and paint them with shades of orange and yellow.
For your decorations
Now that you have your fireplace in place, the next thing that you can look at is to have ecofriendly decorations for it. Instead of going and purchasing new ones from the market, you can make these decorations at home. The basic supplies you need for the decorations include
- Thermacol sheets ( optional)
- Cardboard boxes
- Gift wrapping paper
- Glue/ Sticking tape
- Paper cups
- Small plastic balls / old golf balls
- Pieces of cloth for stockings
- Steamers – beads and paper
- Twine or thread
To make the decorations
Making ornaments from cardboard paper
You can cut various shapes and sizes of different ornaments. If you want, you can also use thermacol sheets and stick the cardboard cuttings on it. You can use tins to make nice Christmas holders and place them on the fireplace. To decorate them, you can choose to use the gift-wrapping paper or even paint it.
For the Stockings
Cut the fabric in the shape of a shoe. Then stitch the three ends and just the borders of the open end to give it a neat finish. Take a black ribbon, cut it to the size of the opening, and stick it inside and outside neatly so that it gives the finish of a nice looking border. For decorating the stocking, you can use Christmas themed stickers or patches of Santa clause, the angel and other such Christmas related symbols.
For the snow flakes
To give the snowflake effect, you can either use cotton or make small flakes out of cardboard and hang it on the fireplace. If you are using cardboard paper to do this, then paint it with a nice metallic silver and white color and add silver glitter to it.
For the streamers
You can make steamers from the cardboard paper and hang it around the edge of the fireplace. Another good option is to use flower streamers. You can also make this streamer with lights and cupcakes glasses or moulds.