Green doors are very important as they automatically increase the energy efficiency of a home. While designing the perfect green home or transforming the one you own must have, you must focus on the doors. The role that the doors play is highly underestimated by many homeowners. The good news, according to Doorcare, is that in most cases you just have to look at the guidelines that are offered by Energy Star. Modern door manufacturers actually work hard to meet guidelines as modern homeowners demand green building technology.
The Energy Efficient Exterior Doors
Energy Star normally relates to the doors that include windows. These released much heat in the past because of the windows, so improvements were necessary. In order for an exterior door to receive an official Energy Star qualification, it needs to include:
- Weather Stripping – There are frames that take advantage of an added magnetic strip that create a tight seal reducing air and heat leakage.
- Core Material – The door’s core material needs to offer insulation for heat loss prevention. We thus see doors with fiberglass, polyurethane foam or wood fiber cores.
- Multiple Glass Panes–When windows are present, they have to be triple or at least double paned.
Eco-Friendly Exterior Green Doors
Although a door may receive the official Energy Star rating, it is not necessarily eco-friendly. You want to look out for the following:
- Wood – You want to be sure wood was certified with a forest governing body.
- Vinyl – This should be avoided. There are many fiberglass and steel doors that will be protected using vinyl coatings.
- Insulation – Most of the doors will use polymer foam for insulation purposes. Doors that are using biofoam insulation are very hard to find.
- Durability – This is definitely important when you want to buy a green exterior door. It needs to last for the lifetime of the home without being replaced. Always invest in high quality products so that waste is reduced.
Finding a Green Door For Your Home
The great thing about the environmental conscious movement at the moment is that there are many different options that are developed for all those that are interested in sustainable, green materials. You no longer have to rely on wood as the material for your door. Various options can be considered. And the best way to handle the situation is to look for green manufacturers.
Thankfully, the internet is a great source of information for all those that are interested in finding high quality manufacturers. We recommend that you learn all that you can about the materials that are used during construction and that you read as many customer reviews as you can find. When you see that there are many problems that appeared or thing did not turn out to be as it was promised, you need to look for someone else. Unfortunately, there are some shady manufacturers out there that are trying to take advantage the people’s interest in green homes. Stay away by conducting a really good research.
Article Submitted By Community Writer