The environment today is in such bad shape that every effort for the betterment of it is crucial. Being eco-friendly in today’s time is not a choice but a compulsion. Sadly many people still do not realize the importance of it and continue with habits that ruin the environment. Few others however do appreciate the efforts towards creating a better environment and go eco friendly in their own little ways. Even weddings can be conducted in an eco friendly way and our very topic today will speak about how to conduct an eco-friendly wedding.
Some crucial eco-friendly wedding tips
- Changing the conventional invitations:
Paper invitations are the most commonly used and they also harm the environment the most. The amount of paper used is so high that it could be enough to cover up entire Manhattan. Avoid this and change the mode of invitations. From recycled paper to the tree free paper the options that you have in this regard are plentiful. Soy inks too can be tried out instead of the conventional ones. Together these can make for very important eco-friendly wedding tips.
- Jewellery: The spending on jewellery in a marriage in the USA is expensive affair. On an average around seven thousand dollars are spent for this purpose. But this does no good to the environment and in fact ruins the resources. A great option can be some of the lesser expensive jewellery that are made from recycling old rocks. Ethically sourced diamonds too can be a great option to try out and make the wedding an absolute success.
- Pick flowers wisely:
Among the several reception ideas flowers form one of the most important things. But the florist you pick may not get you the freshest of flowers. In fact the flowers imported are sprinkled with several pesticides to make them long lasting. This however is a terrible health hazard for the workers working on them. You can easily replace these with fresh and local flowers. Apart from the fact that your wedding will have a very natural vibe, it will also be a lot more eco friendly. If sustainable decoration is on your mind then these are the flowers to be used for the purpose.
- Gifts: An eco friendly wedding is incomplete without the aspect of eco friendly gifts. A lot of times the gift wraps are plastic of paper in nature and they can be easily avoided for their environmental hazards. All your need to do is educate your guests in this regard. You can also tell the guests about your preference in eco friendly gifts and this will encourage them to find such items for you which will be beneficial for the environment.
- A green centerpiece:
When it comes to a wedding a glorious centerpiece is much appreciated. A green centerpiece is a wonderful idea in this regard and can be a fine replacement for the ones decorated with items that needs to be discarded after use and will pile up to be toxic garbage. Avoid plastic decorative and instead opt for some green decoration of leaves and beautiful local flowers. Not only will it be beautiful but it will also pave the roads for an eco friendly wedding.
- Take care of transportation: When it comes to burning of fossil fuel, the cars buses and such automobiles have a huge role to play. Traditionally a limousine is what the couples use after marriage but this can find an easy replacement in alternative green energy vehicles. As far as the location of the wedding is concerned you can always opt for a location that is closer to the houses or at the center of the city so that it is easy for all to travel short distances. You can also arrange for car pooling instead of each guest taking his own vehicle and contributing further to the already polluted air.
- The honeymoon spot:
For this we would recommend that you pick a place that is not the usual commercial tourist spot. For instance for making the eco-friendly wedding successful, you can choose to visit a national park or a tropical reef. A viable option for you is to explore the eco tourism options and make good use of them. This would make your honeymoon experience unique as well as eco friendly.
- Photography: Nowadays more and more photographers are choosing to go digital and it is an eco friendly wedding essential. There are also certain things that your photographer can use to make things better. For instance the use of disposable batteries or the LED lights make for an eco friendly setup. For your wedding pick a photographer who is known to keep such things in mind. This is among those reception ideas that will help you a great deal to fulfill your idea of a wedding that is environmentally friendly.
- The food and beverage at the wedding:
As sad as the statistics may sound it is indeed true that an average American meal travels about 1500 miles before reaching you. This just means an added carbon footprint for the wedding food. If that is not what you are looking to do then you clearly do have options. For instance you can opt for foods that are in season and thus readily available. There are plenty of green restaurants and organic caterers in business. If you avail of their services they will help you serve eco friendly food to your guests.
We hope that this article will provide you with the reception ideas and other wedding ides where the environmental effect will be considered. These tips for a sustainable decoration can be implied on all weddings. While the quality of the weddings would not be brought down it is also going to be a positive addition to the quality of environment around us.