How often is that we hear about measures to cease pollution of all sorts? And how often is that we actually pay heed to them? The reason is that most of us have become nothing but immune, or rather insensitive, to this important issue of global warming.
It is only the collective efforts of the entire race of man as a whole that is needed to bring about an apparent change and betterment in the condition of our planet. Having said that, there are 20 measures laid down below, for us to speed up the recovery process of our planet, and in a healthy way.
Tips to save water
- Minimise your water usage to only what is necessary. Keep a tab on your bathing time and turn off the taps when not in use.
- Make use of buckets while bathing instead of using an overhead shower or bathing in a tub.
- Replace your flush tank with one that makes use of less water and wherein you can control the amount of water spent in each flush.
- Fix all leaking pipes and damaged taps that may lead to undue water wastage.
- Harvest rainwater for cleaning and other mundane purposes as long as rain lasts.
Addressing air pollution
- Try to minimise the use of coolers, refrigerators, and air conditioners.
- Also, keep the use of deodorants and sprays under control. The release of greenhouse gases from your daily activities needs to be checked.
Organic and biodegradable stuff
- Opt for paper or cloth carry bags over plastic ones. The former has better chance of degrading causing no harm to the soil fertility
- Prefer carrying water from home or drinking water from potable water taps instead of bottled water.
- It is better to carry homemade stuff or to cook for yourself than to consume processed foods which not only harms your health but also the environment.
Reuse and recycle
- Try reducing your waste generation. Recycle products as much as you can at domestic level.
- Fix things up instead of replacing slightly damaged goods with new ones. Also, this will save you plenty of money in the long run.
- Reduce the use of electricity especially when no one is benefiting from it.
- Recycle books, newspapers, cardboard, and everything else that can be recycled. Read from e-books or join a library instead of buying books and creating more waste.
- Prefer cloth napkins for children instead of foam ones that do nothing but create more non-biodegradable waste in the environment.
Opting for renewable alternatives
- Use petrol and natural gas sparingly. Don’t overdo its usage.
- Public transport and carpooling are always better when commuting to and fro from your workplace over being driven around personally.
- It is nothing but wise to use resources like hydroelectricity or tidal energy on a large scale everywhere that it can be used.
- Install solar devices in your homes. Though they are a little on the expensive side, in the long run, they are worth every penny you spend on them.
- Use solar water heaters instead of the electric ones.