A healthy diet cannot be imagined without a decent helping of fruits and vegetables. They are rich in vitamins and minerals and can never be ignored in a diet. It is also a good thing if they can be consumed fresh but for that you may have to grow them yourself or go to the markets every day. Since none of that is feasible it might be a good idea to know about some of the fruits and vegetables which don’t spoil quickly. You can then buy these in bulk and store them without having to worry much about these going bad. So in this article we decided to tell you in detail about vegetables and fruits which don’t spoil quickly.
The list of vegetables and fruits which don’t spoil quickly
These are well known for one of the longest shelf lives and can stay without rotting for long periods of time. Just make sure that when you are storing potatoes you do not keep them near onions or apples and bananas. These tend to emit gases which can affect the shelf life of the potatoes. Also make sure that the storage of potatoes is in a dark and cool place such as the basement so that they don’t spoil quickly. Also remember while the storing of potatoes that the sweet potatoes tend to spoil faster than the regular white ones.
- Beets: Like many other root vegetables beets too have a fairly long life before they will start to rot. Just make sure to cut off the greens and the top of the beets before you store them. These parts are more prone to rotting and can in turn affect the rotting of the beet. Instead of wasting the greens you can actually add them in a healthy pasta which will then have a dash of green to it. Store the beets in the crisper drawers of your fridge and they are sure to last very long indeed.
Among fruits apples are among those that last longest. If one manages to keep them in isolation away from other fruits the chances of apples lasting long is significantly increased. Since apples are emitters of ethylene gas the other fruits and vegetables in its presence are easily ripened. If kept in the fridge keep it in the crispers shelf but separately and not with other vegetables or fruits.
- Celery: This is known to make your recipes better with the mere flavor. What is heartening to know is that it also makes for a long lasting vegetable which can be stored away and used when necessary. If you store them in aluminum foils they don’t spoil quickly since they are able to emit some ethylene gas which helps in further preservation. Keep in that state in the crispers drawer of the fridge.
As a very nutritious vegetable cabbages find multiple usage. When they are fresh they make a very good addition to salads. However they are also fairly long lasting and can be later on used in stir fries or soups to make them healthier. If you keep the cabbage in the crisper drawer in proper shape you will not have to worry about it going bad anytime soon.
- Winter squash: There are several variants of winter squash in the markets and all of them are extremely nutritious. The good news is that all of them don’t spoil quickly and can be safely stored away to be used later. Just make sure while you store the winter squash that you store them in a dark and cool place so that their longevity is prolonged.
Out of the several vegetable that we mentioned, garlic is possible the one that lasts the longest. A full garlic with an uncut bulb can stay fresh for as long as six months and if they are separated clove by clove that too is good to go for a few months. In fact even the chopped garlic don’t spoil quickly and can be used in a week. Just make sure the storage is good. For instance you can keep it in paper bags outside or in a container inside the refrigerator. Lookout for the signs that the garlic is going bad, for example it is turning yellow or you see visible spots on them.
- Pomegranates: If you do not cut open the pomegranates they don’t go bad for a very long time. However once cut they will need to be consumed in a week or you will have to find a way to freeze them. The whole fruits can be kept in the fridge without a problem for as much as three weeks.
The storage process of the carrots is much similar in nature to that of the beet. Even here you need to chop off the greens to store them for long periods of time. They last longest if you can ensure before storing that they are dry and do not have the moisture to help them rot. Then just like the beet you can keep it in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator and it will help lock the goodness of your favorite vegetable.
- Citrus fruits: From oranges to grapes to lemons, all such fruits are easy to store and stay fresh for very long periods of time. In fact such is the essence of citrus fruits that you can simply store them in your fridge without having to worry about it going bad. In case you have plans of using them without much delay then they can be even kept atop the counter and even that way they will manage to retain their freshness for a few days.
We hope this article was of good help and now you know all about which fruits and vegetables you can store and also how to store them. They don’t go bad so you can store them in peace and consume them hassle free later on. Store them wisely and avoid the wastage of these precious food resources.